22 aprile 2008

The Celebrated Jumping Frog

This short-story by Mark Twain has got an extraordinary side-story, an appendix, definetely a must for any translator.

Let me summarise the plot. Uf. This is the wiki: "The narrator retells a story he heard from a bartender, Simon Wheeler, at the Angels Hotel in Angels Camp, California, about the gambler Jim Smiley. Twain describes him: "If he even seen a straddle bug start to go anywheres, he would bet you how long it would take him to get to—to wherever he going to, and if you took him up, he would foller that straddle bug to Mexico but what he would find out where he was bound for and how long he was on the road."

Now, apart from the humour in the actual story, Mark Twain says he ran into a French version of his story, and presents a word-by-word translation of the French text. You can find it here together with the original.
I actually read this story for the first time in Italian, and was rather amused by thinking at how the Italian translator had to work around this complex knot of languages and humour.
The work however was so good I almost find funnier the French-to-Italian literal translation than Mark Twain's.
His version ends with the following words:

"Such is the Jumping Frog, to the distorted French eye. I claim that I never put together such an odious mixture of bad grammar and delirium tremens in my life. And what has a poor foreigner like me done, to be abused and misrepresented like this? When I say, “ Well, I do’t see no ’ints about that frog that’s any better’n any other frog,” is it kind, is it just, for this Frenchman to try to make it appear that I said, “Eh bien! I no saw not that that frog had nothing of better than each frog”? I have no heart to write more. I never felt so about anything before. "

Nessun commento: